Why this blog?
For quite a few years, I have been following many publications (hard copy and electronic) that carry relevant information related to the way Life Sciences companies are (or could be) run. Based on these readings, I have formed many opinions about these publications, the way the information they contain is disseminated and the quality of the information being published. Among others, I am of the opinion that:
- There is a lot of good information out there but most is lost or inaccesible;
- There really is no single place to find best practices;
- There is really very little being written about best practices;
- There is too much said about success and not enough about failure;
- There is too much repetition about the basics and very little of depth;
- There is too much faith and hope placed on technology; and
- There is too little attention paid to process and management.
I could go on, but...
The purpose of this Blog is to focus on all the things that would allow a Life Sciences company (Pharmaceuticals, Devices, Diagnostics, Biopharmaceuticals, Animal Health) to achieve operational excellence in every part of its business. So, I will attempt to deal with many subjects across what we consultants call the value chain: Discovery, Development, Manufacturing, Sales, Marketing, Administration, HR, etc. I will also focus on the important role that information and communication technologies do and can play to enable operational excellence.
And yes, I will sometimes rant about things that bother me. In fact, expect a fair amount of this. It is my fervent hope that the squeaky wheel will (once in a while) get the grease.